Things you’ll need
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon extract
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- Red, white and black buttercream in decorating bags fitted with #5 tips
- Medium bowl
- Large bowl
- Hand mixer
- Rolling pin
- Plastic wrap
- Rubber spatula
- Baking sheet lined with parchment paper
- Ro’s 8-bit Heart Cookie cutter
- Offset spatula
Let’s get started!
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add an egg and mix well. Pour in extracts and mix again.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients and mix until no dry ingredients remain.
- Form into 2 discs, wrap plastic and chill dough for 30 minutes.
- Roll dough out to ¼-inch thick and cut into 8-bit heart shapes. Bake for 10 minutes.
Time to decorate!
- Once cool, use a #5 tip to pipe black squares and rectangles around the border of each cookie.
- Fill the center of the cookie in with red frosting using a #5 tip.
- Pipe a white “reflection” in the top left corner of the cookie with a #5 tip.