Things you’ll need
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch salt
- ¼ cup salted butter
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- ¾ cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons peppermint extract
- 2 egg whites
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 teaspoons neon green food color
- Green buttercream frosting
- Green royal icing in a decorating bag fitted with #2 tip
- Chocolate fondant
- Large mixing bowl
- Medium mixing bowl
- Hand mixer with attachments
- Rubber spatula
- Cookie sheet lined with parchment
- Ice cream scoop
- Wax paper
- Small fondant rolling pin
- Exacto knife
- Small fondant rolling cutter
- Cutting mat
Let’s get started!
- Preheat oven to 350ºF .
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Cream together butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add egg whites one at a time, mixing well between each addition.
- Pour in peppermint extract and mix well.
- On low speed alternate adding the dry ingredients with the milk, 3 parts dry and 2 parts milk.
- Pour the batter into a lined and sprayed cookie sheet and bake for 18 minutes.
Time to decorate!
- Roll out chocolate fondant and use the template to cut out shells for each egg.
- Wrap each egg in a fondant shell, closing the tops of some and leaving others open. Cut off the excess at the bottom and then smooth (PICTURE at 4:25).
- Squeeze green royal icing onto the tops of each egg to look like alien slime.
- TaDa! Enjoy these Alien Egg Cake Balls, because in space no one can hear you eat!