Things you’ll need
- ¾ cup almond meal
- 1 ½ cups + 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- Large mixing bowl
- Medium mixing bowl
- Rubber spatula
- Flower cookie cutters
- Baking sheet lined with parchment paper
- Rolling pin
- Pastry brush
- Lollipop sticks
- Floral Pot
- Green tissue paper
- White, pink, yellow, black royal icing in decorating bags fitted with #2 tips
Let’s get started!
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together almond meal, flour, baking powder, nutmeg, and salt until well combined.
- In a large bowl, beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one a time, beating well after each addition. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Add extract with the addition of the addition of the last egg.
- On low speed, beat in the flour mixture until combined.
- Shape the dough into 2 disks. Wrap the disks in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to overnight.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to ¼ inch thick.
- Cut out 6 cookies using the daisy-shaped cookie cutter and 1 using the square cutter.
- Place the cookies on the lined baking sheet and then place a lollipop stick under each. Gently press down.
- Refrigerate the cookies for 10 minutes and then bake for 12 to 13 minutes.
- Let the cookies cool for 2 minutes on the baking sheets, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Time to decorate!
- After the cookies have cooled completely, use white royal icing to pipe an outline on each cookie. Once the outlines have hardened, fill them in with white royal icing.
- Once the icing has hardened completely, pipe details onto each flower (PICTURE at 5:35).
- After the details have dried, pipe a yellow dot in the center of the flower and then sprinkle yellow sanding sugar on top. Allow the excess to fall off.
- Use black royal icing to pipe a sweet message on the square cookie.
- Assemble the bouquet using tissue paper and Styrofoam (PICTURE at 7:18).
- TaDa! Mom will love this delicious Cookie Flower Bouquet!