Things you’ll need
- 1 ¼ cups all purpose flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup water
- 4 Fuji or Gala apples
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- ¼ cup raisins
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 – 2 Fuji or Gala apples
- Lemon juice
- Large mixing bowl
- Medium mixing bowl
- Wooden spoon
- Rubber spatula
- Large slotted spoon
- Cutting board & knife
- Baking sheet lined with parchment
- Rolling pin
- Pastry brush
- Glass measuring cup
Let’s get started!
- Whisk flour, salt and cinnamon in a medium bowl.
- Drizzle in oil and water and mix with a spoon until a dough starts to form.
- Knead for 8 to 10 minutes or until the dough is soft and supple.
- Place in a bowl cover with a towel. Let dough rest for 30 minutes.
- Peel and chop apples and then mix them with lemon juice, sugar, cinnamon and salt. Let the mixture stand to release some of the moisture.
- Microwave raisins and water for 30 seconds to plump and then add them to the apple mixture.
- When the dough is ready, roll it out using a rolling pin to about the size of a sheet paper, then begin to slowly stretch it thin (PICTURE at 5:25).
Time to decorate!
- Preheat oven to 425ºF.
- Trim off the ends of one side of the dough to create ribbons. Braid the ribbons together to make 3 small braids.
- Brush the dough with melted butter and sprinkle with chopped pecans.
- Using a slotted spoon, scoop out the apples and place them along the side of the strudel dough.
- Roll the dough around the apples and place onto a baking sheet.
- Brush the strudel with remaining butter and attach the braid, brushing the braid with butter as well (PICTURE at 7:12).
- Bake at 425°F for 20 minutes and then 350°F for another 30 minutes.
- Cool and top with powdered sugar.
- Cut the remaining apples into thin slices with a rounded edge, leaving the skin on the apple.
- Microwave the apple slices in water and a little lemon juice for 3 minutes.
- Make apple flowers by shingling the slices and rolling them into a flower (PICTURE at 8:18).
- Place the flowers on top of the strudel and serve.