Things you’ll need
- 6 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- 3 teaspoons dark cocoa powder
- 3 cups sugar
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 3 cups vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons distilled vinegar
- Blue food coloring
- 6 by 2 round cake lined with parchment
- 10 by 2 round cake pan lined with parchment
- 6 inch cake boards
- 10 inch cake boards
- 2 large mixing bowls
- Medium mixing bowl
- Hand mixer
- Rubber spatula
- Baking spray
- Cake turntable
- Cake leveler
- Offset spatula
- Fondant: aqua, pink, red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, black and white
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Fondant rolling pin
- Fondant smile tool
- Star cookie cutter
- Small decorating tips
- White buttercream frosting in decorating bags
- Crushed graham crackers
- Aqua royal icing in a decorating bag fitted with a #2 tip
Let’s get Started!
- Preheat oven to 325ºF
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, salt, baking soda, cocoa powder and sugar until well combined.
- In another large bowl whisk together oil, buttermilk, eggs, vanilla extract and vinegar.
- Use a hand mixer to combine wet and dry ingredients, scraping down the sides when necessary. Add blue food coloring.
- Pour batter into lined and sprayed cake pans. Bake the 6-inch for 60 minutes and the 8-inch for 75 minutes. Remove from pans to cool completely.
- Trim the tops of the cakes using a cake leveler and then cut each cake horizontally into 3 layers. Assemble on a cake board, spreading frosting between each layer.
- Cover the cakes with a crumb coat layer and then refrigerate.
Time to decorate!
- Dust a flat surface with powdered sugar and roll out a large piece of aqua fondant to about 1/2-inch thick (PICTURE at 6:39).
- Cover each cake with fondant, cutting off any excess.
- Evenly space out 4 trimmed straws in the middle of the 10-inch cake and then place the 6-inch cake in the center (PICTURE at 7:23).
- Make a Nemo figure out of orange, white, and black fondant. (PICTURE at 3:37) Make Peach the starfish out of pink fondant. (PICTURE 4:37) Make a Dory figure out of dark blue, blue, black, yellow, and white.
- Create various underwater details using the different fondant colors: anemones, seaweed, corals, etc. (PICTURE at 5:00)
- Use crushed graham crackers for sand and arrange fondant figurines to create an ocean scene.
- TaDa! Lets keep swimming with this Finding Nemo Cake!