Things you’ll need
- 2 cups 1-to-1 gluten free flour
- ½ cup dark cocoa powder
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- Medium mixing bowl
- Small mixing bowl
- Rolling pin
- Baking sheet lined with parchment paper
- 3 ½-inch square cookie cutter
- Small knife
- White, grey, red, black, orange royal icing in decorating bags fitted with #2 tips
- Silver luster dust
- Small paint brush
Let’s get started!
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the gluten free flour, cocoa powder, sugars and salt.
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, butter, and vanilla.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture, add the wet ingredients and stir until well combined.
- Divide the dough into 2 discs and wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to overnight.
- Position the rack in the middle of the oven, and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- On a lightly gluten free floured or cocoa powdered surface, roll out the dough ¼ inch thick. Cut out cookies and using a small knife and then cut a small piece of one corner of each cookie. Place them 1 inch apart on a baking sheet.
- Bake until cookies are firm to the touch, 8 to 10 minutes. Let cool for 2 minutes on baking sheets, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Time to decorate!
- Using the white icing, pipe and fill in a white rectangle onto each cookie for the floppy disk label.
- Using the grey icing, pipe and fill in a grey rectangle below the white for the floppy disk shutter.
- Allow icing to harden slightly, about 15 minutes.
- Using a small dry brush, dust each grey rectangle with silver luster dust.
- Use the red and black royal icing to make an 8-bit heart. Use the orange, white, and black to make a fox.
- TaDa! Back your taste buds up on these Floppy Disc Cookies!