Things you’ll need
- 3 cups flour
- ¾ cups almond meal
- 1 ½ cups + 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 bag white candy coated chocolates (M&M’s)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup butter
- Hand mixer
- 2 mixing bowls
- Rectangle cookie cutter
- Rolling pin
- 2 baking sheets lined with parchment paper
- Brown & gray royal icing in decorating bags fitted with #2 tips
Let’s get started!
- Preheat oven to 350ºF
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, salt, 1 tablespoon of sugar, almond meal, baking powder, and nutmeg until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, slowly add sugar to butter while mixing. Add eggs one at a time and then add extracts.
- Slowly combine the wet and dry ingredients (about a third at a time), and mix until a dough forms.
- Divide dough into two disks and then wrap in plastic. Refrigerate for an hour.
- Roll out dough onto a floured surface and then cut out rectangles.
- Place 4 rectangles on each baking sheet and bake for 12 minutes.
Time to decorate!
- Use brown royal icing to outline the surface of the cookie with icing. Let the outline dry and then flood it.
- Before the flooded icing has dried, place a white candy coated chocolate facedown on the edge of the “book”. This will be the eye.
- Use a #2 tip to pipe brown squiggly lines to the surface of the book (PICTURE at 5:33). Use a #1 tip to pipe stitches.
- With a #1 tip, pipe gray borders and binding.
- Pipe gray snakes and then top it off with a gray pupil in the eye (PICTURE at 6:45).
- TaDa! These Hocus Pocus Spellbook Cookies will summon the flavor this Halloween!