Things you’ll need
- 1 cup flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 egg
- 10 cups frying oil
- 4 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons cinnamon
- Small saucepan
- Large pot
- Hand mixer with attachments
- Large bowl
- Rubber spatula
- Baking sheet lined with paper towel
- Candy thermometer
- Decorating bag fitted with #2D tip
Let’s get started!
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and sugar until well combined.
- Combine water and coconut oil in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium high heat.
- Once boiling, pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and beat until thick dough forms.
- When the mixture has cooled slightly, add egg and mix until the dough comes back together.
- Scoop dough into a decorating bag with a #2D tip.
- In a large bowl, mix sugar and cinnamon until well combined.
- Pour oil into a large pot and use a candy thermometer to bring it to 375ºF. Pipe churros into the oil.
- Fry for 3 to 5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove churros with tongs and place onto a paper towel lined sheet tray to dry and cool.
- Toss each churro in the cinnamon sugar to coat.
- TaDa! Now you don’t have to go to Disneyland to enjoy their classic Churros!