Things you’ll need
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- ¼ cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- ¼ cup milk
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- ¼ teaspoon blueberry extract
- 2 drops fluorescent purple coloring
- 1 cup unsalted shelled pistachios
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup whole milk
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 drops mint green color
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons pistachio paste
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cups strawberry puree
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon strawberry extract
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- ¾ cup + 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons oil
- ¼ cup butter at room temperature
- 3 large mixing bowls
- 3 medium mixing bowls
- Hand mixer with attachments
- Rubber spatula
- (3) 10 inch cake pans, sprayed with liners
- 3 cake boards
- Decorating bags (with white, light pink, light green and light purple buttercream)
- Small offset spatula
- Large spatula
- Cake stand
Let’s get started!
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook frozen blueberries and ¼ cup sugar on low until a thick jam forms.
- In a small bowl, mix flour, baking powder and salt.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time and mix until well combined. Mix in blueberry extract.
- Add 1/3 of the dry ingredients, then the milks, 1/3 of dry, mixing well between each addition. Mix in the blueberry jam and then the remaining 1/3 of dry ingredients.
- Pour batter into a lined cake pan and bake for 35 to 45 minutes.
- Use a food processor to pulse pistachios until finely ground. Add flour, baking powder and salt and then pulse briefly.
- In a large bowl, beat together butter, sugar and pistachio paste until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs 1 at a time, beating in between and then mix in vanilla extract. Reduce speed to low to add the pistachio mixture and milk mixtures alternately in batches.
- Spread batter evenly into a lined 10 inch round cake pan and bake at 350ºF for 40 minutes.
- In a medium bowl mix eggs, puree and extracts until well combined.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add butter and oil and mix until it becomes pebbly.
- Pour in half of the wet ingredients and beat well. Add the rest of the wet ingredients in two parts, beating well between each addition.
- Pour batter into a lined 10 inch round cake pan and bake at 350ºF for 35 to 45 minutes.
Time to decorate!
- Spread a thin layer of green frosting on top of the pistachio cake and then place the strawberry cake on top. Frost the top of the strawberry cake pink and then place the blueberry cake on top.
- Refrigerate the cake for 30 minutes.
- Pipe two rows of green frosting on the bottom of the cake and then pink frosting in the middle. Finish the top of the cake off with blue frosting and then smooth with an offset spatula.
- Use the spatula to create texture around and on top of the cake (PICTURE at 10:08). Sprinkle some silver sugar pearls on top.
- TaDa! Just Add Magic Cake is a colorful blend of flavors that will cast a delicious spell over your party!