Things you’ll need
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 ¾ cup self-rising flour
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- Large mixing bowl
- Hand mixer
- Rubber spatula
- Red cupcake liners
- Ice cream scoop
- White buttercream frosting in a decorating bag fitted with a #1A tip
- Ro’s lightning icing decorations
Let’s get started!
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well between each addition.
- Add lemon zest and juice and beat well.
- On low speed, alternate adding the flour mixture and the buttermilk to the butter mixture, beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
- Scoop batter into cupcake liners about 2/3 full and bake for 14 to 16 minutes.
Time to decorate!
- Once cupcakes have completely cooled, use a #1A tip to pipe a dome on top of each one.
- Place a lightning bolt lightning decoration on the center of each cupcake.
- TaDa! Hurry up and grab one of these Lighting Bolt Cupcakes cause they’ll be gone in a flash!