Things you’ll need
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup butter
- 1 ½ teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup buttermilk
- Teal & pink fondant
- Sky blue & royal blue buttercream frosting in decorating bags
- Large decorating bag fitted with #1M open star tip
- Green, gold, and pink luster dust
Let’s get started!
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and sea salt until well combined.
- In a large bowl, use a hand mixer to beat butter and sugars until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs and vanilla extract and beat well to combine.
- On low speed, beat in the flour mixture until combined. Add buttermilk, and mix until just combined.
- Scoop the batter into cupcake liners and bake for 20 to 22 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Cool cupcakes completely before frosting.
Time to decorate!
- Roll out fondant and use the whale cookie cutter to cut out shapes.
- Use a curved fondant tool to create scales on each mermaid tail (PICTURE at 2:33). Allow tails to set for 10 minutes.
- Combine gold and pink luster dust and brush a little bit over all of the pink tails.
- Mix green and gold luster dust and lightly brush some over the green tails.
- Scoop dark blue and light blue buttercream frosting into two separate decorating bags. Place both bags inside a larger decorating bag fitted with an open star tip.
- Wrap each cupcake with a blue cupcake wrapper and then frost the tops to look like waves (PICTURE at 3:41).
- Place a mermaid tail on top of each cupcake.
- TaDa! These Mermaid Tail Cupcakes will have your party swimming in a sea of deliciousness!