Things you’ll need
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup cake flour
- 1 ¼ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons coconut milk
- ¾ cup sweetened shredded coconut
- White frosting in a decorating bag fitted with a large plain tip
- Red buttercream frosting in a decorating bag fitted with #2 tip
- Fine shred coconut, lightly toasted
- Large mixing bowl
- Medium mixing bowl
- Hand mixer with beaters
- Rubber spatula
- Light blue silicone cupcake liners
- Cupcake tray
- Ice cream scoop
Let’s get started!
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder and salt until well combined.
- In a large bowl, use a hand mixer to beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add egg and vanilla extract and mix well. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- On low speed, alternate adding the flour mixture and the milk to the butter mixture, beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
- Gently fold in shredded coconut.
- Scoop batter about 2/3 full into silicon cupcake liners and bake for 14 to 16 minutes.
Time to decorate!
- Once the cupcakes have cooled completely, pipe on white frosting and then roll in toasted coconut.
- Use a #2 tip to pipe the symbol of The Heart of Te Fiti on top of each cupcake.
- TaDa! These Moana Coconut Cupcakes will make a dessert voyager out of you!