Things you’ll need
- ¾ cup almond meal
- 1 ½ cups plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- Black royal icing
- Large mixing bowl
- Medium mixing bowl
- Hand mixer
- Rubber spatula
- Ro’s Mustache cookie cutter
- Baking sheet lined with parchment paper
- Rolling pin
- Black royal icing in decorating bags fitted with #2 & #5 tips
Let’s get started!
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together almond meal, flour, baking powder, nutmeg and salt.
- In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one a time, beating well after each addition. Pour in almond and vanilla extracts and mix together until well combined.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix on low speed until well incorporated.
- Divide the dough into 2 discs, and wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 to 24 hours.
- Roll out the dough to ¼ inch thick, and cut out mustache cookies.
- Place cookies onto a parchment lined baking sheet, and bake for 12 to 13 minutes.
Time to decorate!
- Once cookies have cooled completely, use a #5 tip to pipe a black outline around each cookie (PICTURE at 3:02).
- Use a #5 tip to flood each cookie and then allow them to dry completely.
- Once cookies are dry, use a #2 tip to pipe wavy lines from the center to the edge of each side of a cookie (PICTURE at 3:16). Do this for the rest of your cookies.
- TaDa! A delicious way to enjoy a truly sweet ‘stache!