Things you’ll need
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 ¼ cups all purpose flour
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup butter, at room temperature
- 2 egg yolks
- ¼ cup cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Black, pink and white royal icing in decorating bags fitted with #2 tips
- Black and brown* royal icing in decorating bags fitted with #5 tips
- *Brown royal icing is thickened with powdered sugar to hold shape
- Large mixing bowl
- Medium mixing bowl
- Glass measuring cup
- Hand mixer
- Rubber spatula
- Smart Cookie stamp
- 2 ½ inch round cookie cutter
- Baking sheet lined with parchment paper
- Rolling pin
Let’s get started!
- In a measuring cup, mix together egg yolks, cream and vanilla extract.
- In a large bowl whisk together sugar, flour, cornstarch and salt until well combined.
- Use a hand mixer on medium speed to combine butter with dry ingredients until crumbly.
- Add the wet ingredients and mix until dough forms. Make sure to scrape down the sides with a rubber spatula as needed.
- Divide the dough in half and plastic wrap into discs. Refrigerate for one hour.
- Roll the dough to ¼ inch thick and then stamp as many smart cookies as you can fit. Use a round cookie cutter to cut out the cookies (PICTURE at 2:00).
- Place cookies on a lined baking sheet and then freeze for 10 minutes.
- Bake at 350°F for 8 minutes and then allow cookies to cool completely.
Time to decorate!
- Use white royal icing with a #2 tip to pipe the whites of the eyes (PICTURE at 2:37).
- With black royal icing and a #5 tip, pipe the glasses and pupils.
- Pipe a smile with black royal icing and a #2 tip.
- Use thickened brown royal icing with a #5 tip to pipe chocolate chips.
- Fill in the cheeks with pink royal icing and a #2 tip.
- TaDa! These yummy Smart Cookies are a brilliant way to celebrate any occasion!