Things you’ll need
- 2 ¾ cups all purpose flour
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons dark cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- Black candy pearls
- Black licorice gumdrops
- Large mixing bowl
- Medium mixing bowl
- Rubber spatula
- Baking sheet lined with parchment paper
- Rolling pin
- Pastry brush
- Rounded rectangle cookie cutter
- Red, blue, black, grey royal icing in decorating bags fitted with #2 tips
Let’s get started!
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, use a hand mixer to beat butter until softened. Add sugar and beat until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla and almond extracts and mix until well combined.
- On low speed, beat in the dry ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Shape the dough into 2 disks about 1 inch thick. Wrap the disks in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour up to overnight.
- Roll dough out on floured surface to ¼ inch thick. Use a rounded rectangle cookie cutter to cut out cookies and place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Freeze cookies for 10 minutes.
- Bake for 12 minutes, rotating during baking.
- Remove cookies form oven and cool for 2 minutes on baking sheet. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Time to decorate!
- Use black royal icing to pipe the outline of a rectangle in the middle of each cookie (PICTURE at 9:55). Pipe a smaller rectangle outline inside of the first.
- Pipe a blue outline on the left side of each cookie and a red outline on the right (PICTURE at 10:47).
- Allow the outlines to dry and then fill in the screen with black and grey royal icing (PICTURE at 11:21).
- Cut 24 gumdrops in half.
- Fill in the blue outline with blue royal icing and then quickly place the rounded gumdrop half and two pearls into the icing. (PICTURE at 12:08). Do the same for the red side.
- Use black royal icing to add fine details. Repeat decorating steps for the rest of the cookies.
- TaDa! These Nintendo Switch Cookies give you the perfect excuse to play with your food!