Things you’ll need
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 cup cake flour
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 ¼ teaspoons salt
- ¾ cup oil
- 3 egg whites
- 1 ½ teaspoons peppermint extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ½ cups whole milk
- 6-inch sphere cake pan, greased
- Baking sheet with parchment
- Medium mixing bowl
- Large mixing bowl
- Rubber spatula
- Small serrated knife
- Cake turntable
- Small cake board
- Cake drum
- Small offset spatula
- Fondant rolling pin
- Royal icing in a piping bag fitted with a #3 tip
- Cookie cutters: small round, football, teardrop, diamond
- Penguin body template
- White buttercream frosting
- White, black, orange fondant
Let’s get started!
- Preheat oven to 325ºF.
- In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, flours, baking powder and salt.
- In medium mixing bowl, mix together oil, whites, vanilla and peppermint extracts, and whole milk until well combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until no dry ingredients are left.
- Pour the batter into the ball cake pan then tap the pan gently on the counter to remove any air bubbles.
- Bake until a cake tester comes out clean, about 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- Remove cake from pan and cool completely. Level the tops of each half.
Time to decorate!
- Use a small knife to level the round bottom of one cake half. Place this half on a cake board on a turntable and then top with white frosting.
- Gently press the other half of the cake down onto the frosted half to make a sphere.
- Frost the entire cake with white frosting. Refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
- Place frosted cake on upside plate, this will help with smoothing out the sphere with fondant. Roll out white fondant about ¼ inch thick then cover cake.
- Print template full size twice on 2 separate sheets of paper. Tape the sheets together to make a vase-like shape.
- Roll out black fondant about ¼ inch thick and cut the body shape using the template as a guide. Drape the black fondant cutout over the cake (PICTURE at ).
- Roll out orange fondant about ½-inch thick, place plastic wrap over it then cut out the smaller football shape. Using a fondant vein tool create the penguin smile on the beak. Attach beak onto penguin using royal icing (PICTURE at ).
- To make the feet, roll out orange fondant about ¼-inch thick, place plastic wrap over it and cut out the larger football shape. Cut the football in half and use the small diamond cutter to cut out foot details (PICTURE at) .
- Roll out more black fondant and cut out eyes using a circle cookie cutter then attach on face using royal icing. Cut out flippers using the black fondant and the teardrop cookie cutter and then attach on the sides of the body using royal icing.