Things you’ll need
- 3/4 cup warm milk
- 1 packet active dry yeast
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 egg yolks
- ½ vanilla bean
- Pistachio pudding mix
- 1 cup cold milk
- Red sanding sugar
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Large mixing bowl
- Medium mixing bowl
- Hand mixer
- Rubber spatula
- Glass measuring cup
- Pastry brush
- Plastic wrap
- Rolling pin
- Circular cookie cutter
- Candy thermometer
- Baking sheet lined with paper towels
- Cooling rack
- Liquid measuring cup for pudding
- Decorating bag fitted with a basket weave tip
Let’s get started!
- In a glass measuring cup, mix warm milk, yeast and sugar. Allow to sit for 10 minutes to activate.
- Pour the mixture into a large bowl, and then mix in egg yolks, vanilla bean, butter and almond extract.
- Slowly mix in flour, and then add salt half way through adding the flour.
- Once all the flour is mixed in, knead for a few minutes.
- Place dough into a greased bowl and allow to sit until it has doubled in size.
- On a floured surface, gently form dough into a disc.
- Use a circular cutter to cut out donut holes. Cover the donut holes with a towel and let them rest for 10 minutes.
- Push your finger into the center of each donut hole and gather the edges, pinching them into a flat seam (PICTURE at 3:42).
- Heat oil to 350ºF, keeping track of the temperature with a candy thermometer.
- Fry the donut holes a few minutes on each side and then move to a paper towel-lined baking sheet. Immediately toss each donut hole in red sugar.
- Sift out the pistachio nuts from instant pudding mix.
- In a medium bowl, combine sifted pudding mix with 1 cup of milk. Whisk together until well combined.
- Scoop pudding into a decorating bag fitted with a basket weave tip. Fill each donut hole with pudding (PICTURE at 5:03).
- TaDa! Enjoy these yummy Donut Eyeholes! But you gotta be careful Morty. If Eyehole man catches you with a box of his Eyeholes, he’ll come bursting through a window and fight you, but it’s worth the risk! They melt in your mouth Morty! They’re delicious!