Things you’ll need
- 3 cups milk
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 6 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 vanilla bean
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 yolks
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 large mixing bowls
- 3 medium mixing bowls
- Small mixing bowl
- Immersion blender
- Rubber spatula
- 10 inch nonstick pan
- Baking sheet lined with parchment
- Small saucepan
- Knife and cutting mat
- Powdered sugar and sifter
- Fresh raspberries
Let’s get started!
- In a large bowl, whisk together sifted flour, sugar, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together milk, butter, eggs and extracts. Use an immersion blender to combine wet and dry ingredients until mixture is smooth.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 to 24 hours. Stir batter before cooking.
- Heat a pan over medium-low heat and coat with butter. Scoop 1/4 cup of batter into the pan and swirl it around to completely cover the bottom. Cook until the edges are slightly browned, about a minute.
- Gently flip with a spatula and cook until golden brown, about another 30 seconds.
- Transfer crepe to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Repeat with the remaining batter and continue to stack the crepes on top of each other.
- In a small bowl, whisk together sugar, salt, and cornstarch. Add 1/4 cup of milk and then yolks. Whisk until well combined.
- In a small saucepan, pour the remaining 3/4 cup of milk and vanilla bean seeds and pod. Cook until scalding.
- Slowly pour heated milk into the egg mixture while whisking. Transfer the mixture to a saucepan and cook over medium heat. Whisk constantly to thicken, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and strain into a bowl. Add butter and whisk until shiny and smooth
- Cover with plastic wrap, pressing it to touch the pastry cream. Cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes.
- In a medium mixing bowl, use a hand mixer to whip heavy cream and sugar until stiff peaks form.
- Uncover and whisk pastry cream and then then fold in whipped cream.
Let’s put it all together!
- Spread some filling on top of a crepe and smooth with an offset spatula. Continue to layer crepe and filling until the cake is 20 layers high, ending with a crepe on top (PICTURE at 6:25).
- TaDa! This Scandal Crepe Cake cake is SCANDALicious!