Things you’ll need
- 6 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- 3 teaspoons cocoa powder
- 3 cups sugar
- 3 cups vegetable oil
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons distilled vinegar
- Fuchsia food color
- Yellow, fuchsia and neon green fondant
- Green buttercream in a decorating bag
- Fuchsia buttercream in a decorating bag
Let’s get started!
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Whisk together flour, salt, baking soda, cocoa powder and sugar.
- Mix together oil, buttermilk, eggs, vanilla extract, and vinegar.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until well incorporated. Add fuchsia food color and mix again.
- Pour batter into lined and sprayed quarter sheet pans and bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
Time to decorate!
- Once cakes have cooled completely, remove them from pans. Stack the cakes, spreading fuchsia buttercream in between each layer. Freeze for 30 minutes.
- Use a knife and a round cake pan as a guide to round out the top half of the cake (PICTURE at 3:32). Make sure to save the extra cake and position them on the sides of the cake as ears.
- Use the brain cut-out template as a guide to carve room for the fondant brain. Make sure to cut only one layer deep (PICTURE at 3:44).
- Roll out fuchsia fondant into a long rope. Pipe fuchsia frosting into the brain cavity and fold the fuchsia rope into the cavity to look like a brain (PICTURE at 5:22).
- Frost the outside of the cake with green buttercream frosting.
- Use the zombie template as a guide to cut out dark green fondant pieces for the face (PICTURE at 4:27). Cut out yellow fondant teeth eyes, and place them on top of the green pieces.
- Once fondant has dried completely, arrange facial features on top of the cake.
- Cut jagged edges at the bottom of the cake.
- TaDa! You’d better eat this zombie cake before it eats you!