Things you’ll need
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons buttery sweet dough flavor
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Red Swiss buttercream
- Black royal icing in a decorating bag fitted with #4 tip
- Black fondant
- Powdered sugar
- White buttercream frosting
- Large mixing bowl
- Medium mixing bowl
- Hand mixer
- Rubber spatula
- Two 10 inch round cake pans, sprayed and lined with parchment rounds
- Cake board
- Wax paper
- X-acto knife
- Small fondant rolling pin
- Small offset spatula
- Spiderman template
Let’s get started!
(make sure to double the recipe)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium bowl, combine sugar, eggs, oil, vanilla, sweet dough flavor and sour cream and mix until well combined.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients and mix well.
- Pour batter into two 10 inch round sprayed and lined pans and bake for 50 to 55 minutes.
- Cool completely and level the top of the cakes.
- Cut each cake in half horizontally so that there are 4 layers of cake. Spread buttercream frosting between each layer and a dam of frosting to hold in the cherry filling (PICTURE at 2:38).
Time to decorate!
- Use an offset spatula to frost the entire cake with red Swiss buttercream.
- Pipe a spider web on the top and sides of the cake with black royal icing (PICTURE at 4:47).
- Print the Spiderman Logo template onto cardstock and then use an X-acto knife to cut around the outline of the logo.
- Roll out black fondant about 1/4 inch thick onto a surface prepared with powdered sugar. Use the cardstock stencil to cut out a Spiderman logo.
- Gently place the fondant logo onto the top of the cake, in the center of the spider web.
- TaDa! This Spiderman Cake will take your taste buds up, up and away!