Things you’ll need
- 3/4 cup warm milk
- 1 packet active dry yeast
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ½ each vanilla bean
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 ¾ cup strawberry jam
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons water
- Red royal icing in a decorating bag fitted with a #3 tip
- Yellow royal icing in a decorating bag fitted with a #3 tip
- Large cast iron pot attached with a candy thermometer
- Baking sheet lined with parchment
- Baking sheet lined with paper towel
- 3-inch round cookie cutter
- Wooden spoon
- Small mixing bowl
- Large mixing bowl
- Rolling pin
- Small saucepan
- Rubber spatula
- Decorating bag fitted with a #802 tip
Let’s get started!
- In a small bowl, mix the warm milk, yeast and sugar and allow to sit for 10 minutes to activate.
- Add the mixture to a large bowl, and mix in the yolks, butter, vanilla bean and almond extract.
- Add the flour slowly while mixing, and the salt half way through adding the flour.
- Once all the flour is mixed in, knead for a few minutes.
- Place dough into a greased bowl and allow to sit until the dough has doubled in size.
- Punch down dough and roll out to 1/ 2-inch thick.
- Cut out donuts with a 3-inch circle cookie cutter and place onto a parchment lined cookie sheet and cover with a towel to rest for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Heat oil to 350ºF. Once the donuts have rested, place them into the hot oil.
- Fry for 1 minute on one side, then flip the donuts and fry another minute until both sides are golden brown, remove from oil and place onto a paper towel lined baking sheet to drain.
- To make the jelly filling: whisk the jam in a small saucepan over medium heat until it comes to a boil. Mix the cornstarch and water to make a slurry, and then whisk into the boiling jam. Whisk constantly until it thickens, then cool completely and scoop into a decorating bag fitted with a #802 tip.
- Allow the donuts to cool and fill with jelly mixture by piping it into the side of the donut.
- Using the red icing, pipe and fill a circle on top of the donut. Allow to dry for 15 minutes.
- Using the yellow icing, pipe and fill a yellow star on top of the red circle.
- TaDa! “Do or Do Nut” finish all these Steven Universe donuts!