Things you’ll need
- 3/4 cup warm milk
- 1 packet active dry yeast
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
- 2 egg yolks
- Royal icing
- Vegan sprinkles
- Bench flour
- Large bowl
- 9 inch cake ring
- Cookie sheet lined with parchment paper
- Paper Towels
- Large measuring cup
- Rubber spatula
- Pastry brush
- Drying rack
- Large frying pot
- Candy thermometer
- Pan Spray
- 2 cups chocolate
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup
Let’s get started!
- In a small bowl, combine warm milk, yeast and sugar and allow to sit for 10 minutes to activate.
- Pour the mixture into a large bowl and then mix in egg yolks, butter and almond extract.
- Mix in half of flour and then add salt. Add the other half of the flour and then knead for a few minutes.
- Place dough into a greased bowl and allow it to sit until it has doubled in size.
- Place rested dough onto a floured surface and form it into a large circle.
- Use a large cake ring to cut the dough to a circle. Use a smaller cookie cutter to hollow out the center and then cover with a towel to proof.
- Heat oil to 350ºF. Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- When the donut has set for about 10 to 15 minutes, place it into the hot oil.
- Fry for 1 to 2 minutes on one side, when the donut is golden around the edge, flip the donut and fry another 1 to 2 minutes.
- Remove from oil and place onto a paper towel-lined cookie sheet to drain.
- Move donut to a clean cookie sheet and bake for 5 minutes.
- Remove the donut from the oven and cool completely before decorating.
- Chop chocolate into small pieces and place into medium bowl.
- Heat Cream in a small pot and bring to a scald.
- Pour hot cream over chopped chocolate and then add corn syrup.
- Allow the mixture to set for 3 minutes and then stir to melt the chocolate until smooth and shiny.
- Place donut onto a cookie sheet with a drying rack and pour the ganache over the donut immediately. Refrigerate before decorating.
Time to decorate!
- Carefully place rainbow jimmies onto the donut and then use white royal icing to pipe “The Big Donut” on top.
- TaDa! This larger than life donut will roll right through Zootopia and into your mouth!