Things you’ll need
- ½ cup shortening
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pineapple extract
- ½ cup drained crushed pineapple
- Large bowl
- Medium bowl
- Rubber spatula
- Hand mixer with attachments
- (2) 8” x 8” cake pans, greased & lined with parchment paper
- (1) 6” x 6” cake pan, greased & lined with parchment paper
- Cutting board & knife
- Piping bags with no tips for grey buttercream
- Grey frosting in decorating bag fitted with #8 tip
- Dark grey frosting in a decorating bag fitted with a #8 tip
- Green frosting in a decorating bag fitted with a #233 tip
- Green frosting in a decorating bag fitted with a #4 tip
- Green frosting in a decorating bag fitted with a #352 tip for vine leaves
- Large cake board
- Offset spatula
Let’s get started!
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Grease and line an 8×8 inch square cake pan.
- In a stand mixer, beat shortening and butter until smooth.
- Add sugar and beat for an additional 3 to 5 minutes, or until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well between each addition.
- Pour in pineapple extract and beat again.
- Add the flour and salt and mix until no dry streaks remain.
- Fold in drained pineapple and then pour batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Make this cake 2 more times, an additional 8-inch cake and one 6-inch cake.
Time to decorate!
- Trim the dome off of each cake. Leave one 8-inch cake whole. The other 8-inch cake cut into quarters to create four 4×4-inch cakes.
- Cut one of the 4×4 inch cakes into two 2×2-inch cakes.
- Frost one 8-inch cake, one 6-inch cake, one 4-inch cake and one 2-inch cake grey.
- Place straws into the center of the 8-inch cake and trim to fit the cake height, then stack the 6-inch cake on. Continue with the 4-inch and finish with the 2-inch cake, although this cake will get no straws.
- Cut the remaining cake pieces to fit and make a stairway for the temple.
- Frost the stairs and then pipe on the trim.
- Using green buttercream, frost the cake board with grass and add vines for decoration.