Things you’ll need
- 1 packet active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 cups bread flour
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 10 cups water
- ½ cup baking soda
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- ¼ cup coarse salt
- Large bowl
- Medium bowl
- Rubber spatula
- Wooden spoon
- Large pot
- Slotted spoon or spider
- Baking sheet lined with parchment paper
- Pastry brush
- Small cutting knife
- Clean kitchen towels
Let’s get started!
- In a large bowl, mix the 1 cup warm water, yeast, honey and sugar and let sit for 10 minutes to activate.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the bread and all-purpose flour.
- With a wooden spoon, stir in the butter and half the flour.
- Add the salt and mix well.
- Add a little flour at a time, stirring between each addition until all the flour is added.
- Turn the dough onto a floured surface and knead the dough until it is smooth.
- Add the dough to a large bowl coated with oil and cover with a clean towel for 1 to 1 ½ hours or until it is doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line and grease a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- When the dough is ready, turn it onto a floured surface and cut into 14 equal portions. Roll each portion into a rope.
- You’ll need two ropes per pretzel. Form one rope into a circle and cut the second rope in half. Attach each half rope to the circle to create an X. Place on a lightly greased parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Cover shaped pretzels with a clean kitchen towel and let rest for 15 minutes.
- In a large pot, bring 10 cups of water and baking soda to a simmer. Poach the pretzels for 1 minute, 30 seconds per side.
- Place poached pretzels on a lightly greased parchment lined baking sheet and brush with melted butter and salt.
- Place the pretzels bake onto a well-greased baking sheet and brush with 3 tablespoons melted butter and sprinkle with coarse salt.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes.
- TaDa! You don’t need to go to Xavier’s School for Gifted Youngsters to learn to make these X-men pretzels!