Things you’ll need
- 6 egg yolks
- 6 egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup oil
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup sugar
- Strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, oranges, limes and honeydew melon for decoration
- 2 large mixing bowls
- Medium mixing bowl
- Hand mixer
- Rubber spatula
- Two 8-inch cake pans, sprayed and lined
- Two 8-inch cake boards
- Offset spatula
- Cutting board & knife
- Sweetened whipped cream in a decorating bag with tip cut off
- Sweetened whipped cream in a decorating bag fitted with #824 tip
Let’s get started!
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together egg yolks, 1 cup sugar, water, oil, vanilla extract and almond extract.
- In a large bowl mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In another large bowl, beat egg whites until frothy then slowly add ¼ cup sugar while beating. Once combined, turn beater to high and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and then fold in egg whites in 3 parts.
- Pour the batter into cake pans and bake for 35 minutes.
- Once cool, level cakes to 1 inch thick.
Time to decorate!
- Cut strawberries into 4 equal slices and shingle them onto the top of the cut cake in circles (PICTURE at ). Pipe whipped cream in between the strawberries.
- Place the second cake on top, cut side down, and frost the entire cake in whipped cream. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Cut cake into 6 slices and decorate cake with 3 rosettes on the edge of the slice. Decorate the top with fruit. (PICTURE at ).
- Dah-na-na-na-naaaaah! You received the Fruitcake from Breath of the Wild!