Things you’ll need
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 stick (4 ounces) salted butter, at room temperature
- ¼ cup solid vegetable shortening
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoons almond extract
- 5 large egg whites
- ¾ cup whole milk
- ¼ cup rainbow sprinkles
- White buttercream frosting
- Light pink buttercream frosting in decorating bags fitted with #824 and #4B tips
- Light blue buttercream frosting in a decorating bag fitted with a #2A tip
- Light purple buttercream frosting in a decorating bag fitted with a #824 tip
- Dark purple buttercream frosting in decorating bags fitted with #2A and #4B tips
- Black buttercream frosting in a decorating bag fitted with a #4 tip
- White fondant
- Edible gold dust
- Small paint brushes
- Fondant rolling pin
- Teardrop cookie cutters
- Lollipop stick
- Three 6-inch round cake pans
- Large mixing bowl
- Medium mixing bowl
- Hand mixer
- Rubber spatula
- 6 inch cake board
- Cake stand
- Cake turntable
- Offset spatulas
- Small sifter
- Bowl of powdered sugar
- Almond extract
Let’s get started!
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease and line three six-inch round cake pans.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to beat butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add egg whites one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla and almond extracts.
- On low speed, alternate adding the flour mixture and milk to the butter mixture, beginning and ending with the flour. Fold sprinkles into the batter.
- Divide batter evenly between cake pans bake for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Once cakes are fully cooled, level them with a cake leveler.
- Stack cakes on a cake board, making sure to frost between each layer.
- Use a cake turntable to smooth white frosting over the entire cake (PICTURE at 4:20).
Time to decorate!
- Use white fondant to make a unicorn horn (PICTURE at 7:20).
- Mix a few drops of almond extract into edible gold dust and then brush it onto the horn.
- Use teardrop cutters to create fondant ears and then paint the inner ear gold (PICTURE at 6:43). Insert a toothpick into the bottom of each ear.
- Pipe rosettes on the top and along one side of the cake using the pink and light purple frostings each fitted with a #824 tip (PICTURE at 5:19).
- Add dollops of details using the pink and dark purple frostings each fitted with a #4B tip and the blue and dark purple frosting each fitted with a #2A tip (PICTURE at 5:45).
- Pipe eyes onto the front center of the cake. Place horn on the top center of the cake and the ears on either side of the horn.
- Ta-da! This colorful Unicorn Cake will bring magic to any occasion!