Things you'll needIngredients for the cake
- 3 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3 cups sugar
- 2 sticks of butter (room temperature)
- 2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 7 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- Fresh strawberries
Ingredients for the Cream cheese frosting
- 16 oz. cream cheese (room temperature)
- 1 stick of butter
- 4 cups of powdered sugar
- Strawberry jam
- Two 8"x2" round pans
- Hand mixer
- Piping bags
- Green candles
Let's get started!
- Preheat the oven to 325F degrees.
- Line and grease the two 8" baking pans
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In another large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until it is light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well in between each addition.
- Add the vanilla extract and mix again.
- Add the sour cream and mix for 30 seconds.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients until it's well combined.
- Divide the batter evenly and pour it in the prepared pans. Bake in the oven for about 50 minutes. Let it cool completely.
- Remove the leaves on the strawberries using a large knife.
- Make thin slices and set aside.
Make the cream cheese frosting!
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and cream cheese until it is light and fluffy.
- Slowly add the powdered sugar until it is well combined.
- Take about 1/2 cup of frosting and tint it light pink using the strawberry jam.
- Add some strawberry jam to the rest of the frosting until the desired color is achieved.
- Scoop the light pink frosting into a decorating bag fitted with a star tip.
Time to decorate!
- Place the first cake layer on top of a cake board.
- Pipe a thin layer of frosting and spread evenly with an offset spatula.
- Add the slices of strawberries on top.
- Flip the second cake layer and place it on top.
- Frost the entire cake and smooth with an offset spatula.
- Place 6 strawberries on top of the cake.
- Pipe some frosting in between the strawberries.
- Add four green candles.
Written By Rosanna Pansino