June 15, 2021
Hyper Realistic Pizza Cake
Things you'll need
Ingredients - White Vanilla Cake
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- White & red buttercream
- Red, dough & white colored fondant
- Brown, red & yellow food coloring
- Confectioner's glaze
- Green sprinkles, crushed
Let's get started!
- Preheat the oven to 325F. Grease and line two 10-inch round cake pans.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, beat the butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy, 3-5 minutes.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in the vanilla and almond extract.
- On low speed, alternate adding the flour mixture and the buttermilk to the butter mixture, beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
- Divide the batter among the prepared pans and bake 30 to 35 minutes.
- Let cakes cool and freeze for 15 minutes.
- Carve cake into a rectangle and save carvings for later.
- Frost the cake with buttercream. For realistic effect, don't smooth out completely.
- For pepperoni, roll out red fondant very thinly. Texture with crinkled aluminum foil pressing into fondant. Cut out small and medium circles for pepperoni.
- For crust, roll out a strip of dough colored fondant. Wrap around the edges of the cake for the crust. Gently pinch the edges around the top. Add some texture pressing with the aluminum foil. Poke toothpicks ends at top for additional texture.
- Airbrush crust edges with mixture of brown, red and yellow for toasted look. Add extra dimension with a darker brown for a burnt/crispy look and one with more yellow for a golden brown look.
- For cheese, roll out mozzarella colored fondant in a rectangle, and cut to fit on top within the crust. Round out edges, and attach to cake. Use a ball fondant tool to press in to make cheese "bubbles". Airbrush with brown and yellow mix for different sized toasted look.
- Use a pizza cutter or knife to mark pieces in quarters.
- For sauce, spread a little dark red buttercream around the edges of the cheese. Use a paintbrush dipped in water to spread more and bring out the color.
- Top with pepperonis. Rub circle tool in the center to get an upward curled look.
- Apply confectioners glaze to pepperonis and cheese.
- For seasoning, crush green sprinkles and gently spread over the cheese areas.
Written By Rosanna Pansino