Inside Out Surprise Cake
Things you'll need
- 2 cups unsalted butter
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 3 cups cake flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3½ cups sugar
- 8 eggs
- 4 teaspoons vanilla
- 2½ cups milk
- Purple frosting in decorating bag
- Multi colored mini gum balls
- Marshmallow fondant: white, red, green, orange, yellow, blue, purple
- Yellow, green, blue, purple and red frosting in piping bags fitted with #6 tips
- Hand Mixer
- Large mixing bowl
- Medium mixing bowl
- Two 10-inch round cake pans
- 10-inch round parchment liners
- Offset spatula
- Rubber spatula
- Baking spray
- 6-inch round cookie cutter
- Small offset spatula
- Inside Out figurines
- Fondant rolling pin
Let's get started!
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- In a large bowl, whisk together all purpose flour, cake flour, baking powder and salt until well combined.
- In a medium bowl, use a hand mixer to cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs one at a time, scraping between each addition. Mix in vanilla.
- Add 1/3 of dry ingredients and then ½ the milk. Repeat this one more time and then mix in the remaining dry ingredients.
- Pour the batter into sprayed and lined cake pans and bake for 45 to 55 minutes. Cool and remove from pans.
- Level the cakes and then cut them in half. Place a piece of cardboard between each cake layer and then use a 6 inch pan as a guide to cut holes in the center of 3 of the cakes (PICTURE at 3:13).
- Use an offset spatula to spread purple frosting over the top of the base layer of the cake and then in between each layer as you stack it. Fill the hole with gum balls (PICTURE at 4:47).
- Place the last layer on top of the cake and then frost the entire cake purple.
Time to decorate!
- Use multi-colored fondant to create an Inside Out control panel (PICTURE at 6:35).
- Arrange the control panel and figurines on top of the cake (PICTURE at 7:11).
- TaDa! Emotions are running high with this fantastic surprise cake!