Things you'll need
FOR THE CAKE:
- 1 ¾ cups flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp. applesauce
- 1/3 cup + 2 tbsp. sugar
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
FOR THE STREUSEL:
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ cup vegan butter
FOR THE GLAZE (Optional):
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 2-3 tsp. almond milk
Let's get started!
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and line the 8” cake pan.
- Make the streusel topping: In a medium bowl, use a fork to mix together the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and vegan butter until it the texture is crumbly.
- Make the coffee cake: In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a small bowl, pour the apple cider vinegar in the almond milk and let curdle.
- In a large bowl, with an electric mixer on low speed, mix together the almond milk, apple cider, applesauce, sugar, vegetable oil and vanilla extract.
- Slowly add the flour mixture into the wet mixture until well combined.
- Spread half of the batter on the greased pan and sprinkle half of the streusel mixture on top.
- Pour the remaining batter and sprinkle the rest of the streusel evenly.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted comes out clean.
- Let cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool 10. Make the glaze: In a small bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar and almond milk until smooth.
- Drizzle the cake with the glaze.
Written By Rosanna Pansino