Things you'll needChurros
- About 8 cups vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 large egg
- Fine sanding sugars: red and white
- Candy thermometer
- 2D decorating tip
Let's get started!
- In a large pot fitted with a candy thermometer, heat 4 inches of vegetable oil to 375F over medium heat.
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together the water, granulated sugar, salt and coconut oil and bring to a boil over high heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour and baking powder.
- Add the flour mixture to the saucepan and stir constantly over high heat until combined and the dough pulls away from the sides of the pan, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Transfer the dough to a medium bowl. With an electric mixer, beat the dough until it cools sightly and no steam rises, about 1 minute.
- Add the egg and beat until the dough is shiny and smooth, 2 to 3 minutes.
Time to decorate!
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Scoop the dough into a decorating bag fitted with a #2d tip. Pipe 3-inch X's and O's onto the wax paper.
- Freeze the churros until firm, 10 to 15 minutes.
- When the oil has reached 375F, carefully place a few churros into the hot oil (don't overcrowd the pan) and fry on both sides until golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes per side.
- Place the churros on paper towels to drain and cool slightly, 2 to 5 minutes. While the churros are still slightly warm, toss them in the sanding sugar: red for the X's and white for the O's
Written By Rosanna Pansino