Things you'll needIngredients
- 2 cups flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup shortening
- ¾ cup honey
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup seedless raisins
- ¼ broken walnut pieces
- Your favorite frosting
Let's get started!
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line cupcake pans with paper liners.
- Put a sifter into a medium mixing bowl. Measure the sifted flour, baking soda, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, and salt into the sifter. Sift these dry ingredients into the bowl.
- Measure the shortening into a large mixing bowl. With an electric mixer, beat the shortening until it’s fluffy.
- Add the honey to the shortening and continue to beat the mixture for 2 minutes. Stop the mixer once or twice and use the rubber spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add half the applesauce and half the sifted dry ingredients to the honey and shortening mixture. Mix at medium speed until all the flour disappears.
- Add the remaining applesauce and dry ingredients. Mix again until everything is blended.
- Use a wooden spoon to stir in the raisins and walnut pieces.
- Spoon the batter into the cupcake liners, filling each about 2/3 full (about two tablespoons of batter).
- Bake the cupcakes for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Poke a toothpick into the center of a cupcake. If it comes out clean, the cupcakes are done. Set them on racks to cool.
Written By Rosanna Pansino