Awkward Penguin Cookies
Things you'll need
- 3 cups flour
- ¾ cup almond meal
- 1 ½ cups sugar +1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 sticks or 1 cup butter at room temperature
- Egg wash
- Medium mixing bowl
- Large mixing bowl
- Hand mixer
- Rubber spatula
- Plastic wrap
- Rolling pin
- Baking brush
- Cutting board & knife
- Baking tray lined with parchment paper
- White & orange royal icing in decorating bags fitted with #2 tips
- Black royal icing in a decorating bag fitted with #1 tip
Let's get started!
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, nutmeg, 1 tablespoon of sugar, almond flour, salt, and baking powder until well combined.
- In a large bowl, mix butter with a hand mixer until fluffy. Add sugar and mix again.
- Add eggs one at a time and then mix in vanilla extract and almond extract.
- Combine half of the dry ingredients with the wet and mix well. Add the second half of the dry ingredients and mix again.
- Transfer half of the dough into a medium mixing bowl and add 1 to 3 drops of black food coloring. Leave the other half white.
- Place each half of the dough on an individual piece of plastic wrap and mold it into a square shape, about 1 inch tall (PICTURE at 3:32). Wrap each dough and chill in the fridge for an hour.
- Roll out the white dough into a log shape about 18 inches long. (PICTURE at 4:03) Wrap it in plastic wrap and freeze completely.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Roll out the black dough the same length as the white dough, but only ¼ inch thick.
- Make a small round groove down the middle of the black dough lengthwise (PICTURE at 4:39) and then brush egg wash into the groove.
- Lay the white dough log in the groove and gently press it down. Apply another light layer of egg wash to the top of the white dough.
- Wrap black dough strip over the white dough log, using egg wash as a glue (PICTURE at 5:13). Wrap the log in plastic wrap and freeze completely.
- Cut the log into slices about ¼ inch thick and place them onto a baking tray. Bake for 7 to 9 minutes.
Time to decorate!
- Dye one part of royal icing orange, one part black, and leave one part white. Place each color in a decorating bag.
- Use a #2 tip to pipe white, oval-shaped eyes onto the cookie. (PICTURE at 6:56)
- With a #1 tip, pipe and orange beak and feet (PICTURE at 7:18).
- Use a #1 tip to pipe black pupils in the eyes and the wings. (PICTURE at 7:24)
- TaDa! Awkward Penguin Cookies make a great conversation starter at social gatherings!