Things you'll needIngredients for the Matcha Macarons
- 1 cup plus 2 tbsp almond flour (Bob's Red Mill Superfine blanched)
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 large egg whites (room temperature)
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp matcha powder
- Food coloring: black, pink, dark green
- Royal Icing
Ingredients for the Raspberry Buttercream Filling
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- Stand mixer
- Piping bags
- Piping tips: 2A, #4, three #1
- Rubber spatula
- Parchment paper
- Baking Tray
Let's get started!
- Preheat the oven to 300F. Line the baking tray with a piece of parchment paper and place the paper templates underneath.
- In a large bowl, sift the almond flour, powdered sugar and matcha powder. Whisk until well combined.
- In a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the egg whites until frothy for 4 minutes on medium speed.
- Slowly add the granulated sugar and beat for another 4 minutes until stiff peaks form.
- Using a spatula, fold one-third of the dry ingredients into the egg white mixture, about 20 strokes.
- Add the remaining dry ingredients and continue folding gently until well incorporated. The batter should be thick but still flowing.
- Spoon the batter into a piping bag fitted with a #2A tip. Pipe rounds over the circles on the parchment. Tap the baking sheet onto the counter to remove any air bubbles.
- Spoon the bater into a bag fitted with a #4 tip and then pipe details onto half of the rounds.
- Let sit for 30 minutes at room temperature to develop a skin.
- Bake the cookies until they have puffed up and look dry (they should not brown) about 16-18 minutes.
- Let cool completely on the pans.
Make the filling!
- In a large bowl, beat the butter until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes.
- Mash the raspberries and strain it to remove the seeds.
- Take a couple of tablespoons and add the raspberry juice to the butter mixture and mix until well combined.
- Transfer to a piping bag.
Time to decorate!
- Tint the royal icing pink, black and dark green. Scoop it into decorating bags fitted with #1 tips.
- Using the dark green icing, pipe two vertical lines and two horizontal lines on the forehead.
- Using the black icing, pipe two dots for the eyes and a “U” shape in between for the mouth.
- Use the pink icing to pipe two smaller dots underneath the eyes for the cheeks.
- Assemble the cookies. Take a shell without ears and pipe a small amount of frosting on the flat side. Place a shell with ears on top. Repeat on all cookies.
Written By Rosanna Pansino