Things you'll needRed Velvet Cake Ingredients
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick )4 ounces) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoon red food color
- 1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Pinch of salt
- Fondant: red and black
- Tylose powder
- American Buttercream
- Two 6-inch round cake pans
- Two 6-inch square cake pans
- Hand mixer
- Rubber spatula
- Two heart cake boards
- Rolling Pin
Let's get started!
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Grease and line cake pans.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, cocoa powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter until creamy. Add the sugar and beat until well combined and lightened.
- Beat in the eggs and vanilla for two minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the milk and sour cream.
- On a low speed alternate adding the flour mixture and milk mixture into the butter mixture, beginning and ending with the flour. Add the red food color with the first addition of milk.
- Divide the batter evenly between the pans. Bake until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Let cakes cool in pans for 20 minutes, then flip upside down to cool completely.
- Cream cheese buttercream: In a mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add the butter and beat until fully combined and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla and salt and mix.
- Add the powdered sugar 1 cup at a time, beating well after each addition.
Time to Decorate!
- Cut both 6-inch round cakes in half (semi-circles).
- Heart cake: Stack cakes on heart cake board with the square at the bottom and two half circles at the top making a heart. Pipe a layer of cream cheese buttercream and stack the next layer. Crumb coat with American buttercream and chill. Smooth the white frosting over the entire cake and chill again.
- Box lid: Mix tylose powder into red fondant, roll into a heart shape 1/2" wider than the cake board. Roll two long strips 17" long and 1 1/4" tall. Use water to stick strip along edge of the heart. Use red fondant to roll out and cut a bow. Let dry overnight.
- Cover round cake board with black fondant.
- Roll out red fondant in heart shape and place on top of cake. Roll out 2 red rectangles 16" by 4 1/2" and place around sides of the cake.
- Place chocolates into top of cake.
- Attach bow on heart lid and place on top of the cake.
Written By Rosanna Pansino