Things you'll need
- 1 ¾ cups unsweetened frozen raspberries
- ¼ cup whole milk
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup cake flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons (1 ½ sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Red food coloring
Raspberry Blood Topping:
- ½ cup seedless raspberry jam
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- Red food coloring
- 1 batch Swiss Buttercream Frosting
- Decorating tips: #1A. #10
Let's get started!
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line 12 cups of a muffin tin with liners.
- Make the raspberry cake: In a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave the raspberries until thawed, 60 to 90 seconds. In a blender puree the raspberries until smooth.
- Strain the raspberry puree into a small bowl to remove the seeds. Whisk the milk.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, cake flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in the vanilla and 2 drops of red food coloring.
- With the mixer on low speed, alternate adding the flour mixture and the raspberry mixture to the butter mixture, beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
- Fill each liner two-thirds full with batter and bake until a wooden pick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean, 15 to 17 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Time to decorate!
- Make the raspberry blood topping: In a small saucepan, whisk together the jam, lemon juice and water and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Remove from the heat and whisk in red food coloring. Let cool completely before use
- Make the Swiss Buttercream Frosting. Scoop half the frosting into a decorating bag fitted with a #1A tip and pipe a small mound of frosting on top of each cupcake.
- Scoop the remaining frosting into a decorating bag fitted with a #10 tip and pipe a brain design on each mound.
- Drizzle with the raspberry blood.
Written By Rosanna Pansino