Have a Hoppy Easter! These adorable bite-sized bunny bum balls will easily make your loved ones smile and are a cute treat to share. This recipe creates white chocolate covered strawberry cake balls that have all the flavor of a chocolate dipped-strawberry.
Things you'll needStrawberry Cake
- 10 large strawberries, diced small
- 1 tablespoon plus 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons corn starch
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup buttercream
- 2 bags (12 ounces each) super white Candy Melts
- 1 bag (12 ounces) pink Candy Melts
- 10 mini marshmallows
- White nonpareils
- One 8-inch cake pan
- Piping bags
- Bunny feet template
- Piping tips: #1, #3
- Hand mixer
Let's get started!
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease and line the 8-inch pan.
- In a small saucepan, combine the strawberries, 1 tablespoon of sugar and 1 tablespoon of water and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and the 1 1/2 teaspoons water. Add the mixture to the saucepan and stir constantly until thickened, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat and cool.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and the salt.
- In a large bowl with a hand mixer, beat the butter and sugar until fully combined and lightened.
- Add the egg whites to the butter mixture one at a time, mixing after each addition.
- Mix in the vanilla and the cooled strawberry mixture.
- On low speed, alternate adding the flour mixture and the milk to the butter mixture, beginning and ending with the flour.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake until the toothpick comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Let cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then turn out and let cool completely.
- Using hand mixer, mix cake and the buttercream to create a dough texture, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Roll 1 1/2 tablespoons of dough into a ball and place on baking sheet.
- Refrigerate the cake balls until firm, about 1 hour.
Time to Decorate!
- Melt 1 bag of white Candy Melts. Dip the cake balls in the melted candy with a fork, letting the excess candy drip off. Place back on the baking sheet.
- Bunny Feet: Place a bunny feet template on second baking sheet and lay wax paper over template.
- Melt second bag of white Candy Melts, and scoop into a piping bag fitted with a #3 tip and pope the feet. You will need about 40 total.
- Melt the pink Candy Melts, and scoop into a piping bag fitted with a #1 tip and pipe pink paw print details on the flat side of each foot.
- Bunny tails: Cut each mini marshmallow in half. Shape into balls, then roll in white nonpariels to coat.
- Using melted white candy melts, attach feet and tails to top of cake balls.
Written By Rosanna Pansino