Captain Marvel Princess Cake
Things you'll needIngredients
- 3 cups frozen blueberries
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 4 cup shortening
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 eggs at room temperature
- 4 ½ cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup milk
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- ¾ teaspoon blueberry extract
- 1 tsp. teal food coloring
- Buttercream frosting (tinted teal)
- Fondant: blue, red, yellow
- Princess cake pan (Ro Baking Line by Wilton)
Let's get started!
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line and grease the princess cake pans.
- Cook the frozen blueberries and ¾ cup sugar on low until a thick jam forms.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time and mix until well combined. Mix in the blueberry extract.
- On low speed, add 1/3 of the dry ingredients, then the milks, 1/3 of the dry, mixing well between each addition. Mix in the blueberry jam and then the remaining 1/3 of the dry ingredients. Add the food coloring and mix well.
- Divide the batter evenly among the prepared pans and bake until a wooden pick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 30 to 35 minutes.
- Let cool in the pan for 15 minutes then turn out to a wire rack to cool completely.
Time to decorate!
- Stack the cakes in ascending order, leveled side down, with a thin layer of frosting in between the cake layers.
- Crumb coat the cake and refrigerate for 30 minutes to set.
- On a flat surface sprinkled with powdered sugar, roll out the blue fondant to a 16-inch round,1/4 inch thick.
- Drape the fondant over the cake and form ruffles on the bottom of the dress.
- Take the doll and use the red fondant to make her gloves. Place the doll in the middle of the cake.
- For the bodice, roll a strip of blue fondant and add a sweetheart neckline. Cut a thin strip of yellow fondant and place it on the top part of the bodice. Use water as an adhesive to attach to the doll.
- For the shoulder straps, take two small yellow strips of fondant and place it on top of the doll's shoulders.
- Add a yellow star and attach it to her chest.
- Take a thick red strip of fondant and wrap it around the doll's waist to cover the seams.
- Use the red fondant to cut two hexagons and place it near the hips.
- Cut multiple strips of thin red, blue and yellow fondant in different lengths.
- Add more details by creating different line patterns all over her dress and bodice.
Written By Rosanna Pansino