Things you'll needIngredients
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 2 medium carrots (1/4 cup finely grated)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 3 tablespoons meringue powder
- 1/3 cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon cream cheese flavored extract
- Pinch of salt
- Food color: lime green, green, olive green, light brown, brown, rose pink, red, black, orange & white
Let's get started!
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Grate two medium carrots with a grate or food processor.
- Using a stand mixer fitted with a beater attachment, cream together butter, sugar and salt on a medium speed for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add in the egg, grated carrots, vanilla, nutmeg and cinnamon and mix an additional minute on medium-low speed until combined. Scrape the sides of the bowl as needed.
- One cup at a time, slowly incorporate the flour on a low speed until mixture turns into a firm dough.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll out cookies dough to 1/2 inch thickness, cut out the wire rack for 5-10 minutes or until cool to the touch.
- Store in an airtight container until ready to decorate.
Cream Cheese Royal Icing
- With a hand or stand mixer, on a low speed beat all the ingredients together until combined.
- Increase the speed to a medium-high and heat an additional 3-5 minutes or until icing lightens in color and increases in volume.
Time to decorate!
- Divide the royal icing among 10 small bowls - saving a little more for orange icing. Tint bowls lime green, green, olive, light brown, brown, rose pink, red, black, orange and white.
- Scoop into separate decorating bags fitted with #2 piping tips.
- Using an edible pen, section out each part of the character.
- Outline and fill head with light brown and rose pink for the cheeks.
- Outline and fill overalls in olive green.
- Outline and fill carrot stems and t-shirt in green and lime green.
- Outline each section and add details on the cookie in black.
- Pipe the legs, belt and gloves in brown.
- Pipe the hat in red and black.
- Pipe the range icing on the eyes.
- Pipe the white icing to make lashes using a #1 piping tip.
- Pipe the red icing for lips using a #1 piping tip.
Written By Rosanna Pansino