Chick Crinkle Cookies
Things you'll needIngredients
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon lemon yellow food coloring
- 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 batch Royal Icing
- Food Coloring: Black and orange
- Two #1 decorating tips
Let's get started!
- Make the lemon cookies: In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda
- In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, beat the butter and ¾ cup granulated sugar until light and fluffy, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the egg and beat well.
- Beat in the lemon zest, lemon juice, and yellow food coloring until well combined. On low speed, slowly beat in the flour mixture until well combined.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Roll the chilled dough into 1-tablespoon balls.
- Coat the cookies: For the chick body, roll two-thirds of the balls in the powdered sugar and place 2 inches apart on the baking sheet.
- For the chick head, roll the remaining balls in the granulated sugar. Cut each ball in half and place the cut side against a powdered sugar cookie ball on the baking sheet.
- Bake until set but not browned at the edges, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Let cool on the baking sheet for 2 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Time to decorate!
- Make the royal icing. Divide it between 2 bowls and tine one bowl black and the other orange. Scoop the icings into separate decorating bags fitted with #1 tips.
- Pipe 2 black dots on the “head” cookie for eyes.
- Pipe an upside-down orange triangle for the beak. Pipe 2 orange feet at the bottom of the “body” cookie.
Written By Rosanna Pansino