Things you'll needIngredients
- 2 1/3 cups flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon espresso powder
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup medium chopped almonds
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Food color: red and green
Let's get started!
- Preheat oven to 350F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and espresso powder.
- In a large bowl, using the hand mixer, beat together eggs until frothy. It should take 1-2 minutes.
- Slowly add sugar while mixing, beat mixture until pale and thick, about 2-3 minutes.
- Slowly drizzle the olive oil unto the egg mixture, then drizzle in the milk and vanilla. Mix until completely combined.
- Using a wooden spoon, add the flour mixture in two additions. Mix until combined.
- Fold in the almonds and chocolate chips.
- Cover the dough with plastic wrap and let dough rest at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- Scoop rounded tablespoons of dough onto a parchment lined baking sheet and roll into balls.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes and let cool completely.
Time to Decorate!
- Icing: In a medium bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, milk and vanilla extract. Mix until completely combined.
- In two small mixing bowls, color a small amount of icing green and red.
- Leaves: Using the green royal icing fitted with a #352 leaf tip, pipe small leaves onto parchment paper and let dry 1 hour.
- Berries: Using the red royal icing fitted with a #2 round tip, pipe small berries onto parchment paper and let dry 1 hour.
- Using the white royal icing in a piping bag, pipe the icing on top of each cookie and place 2 royal icing green leaves and 3 red berries on top.
- Let the icing harden at room temperature for 30 minutes.
Written By Rosanna Pansino