Cooking in Julia Child's Kitchen
Things you'll need
- 4 cups fresh strawberries
- 2 egg whites
- ½ cup of sugar
- 1 lemon
- Food mill
- Cutting board & knife
- 2 Mixing bowls
- Hand mixer
- Measuring cup
- Hand juicer
- Plastic food wrap
- 1 ½ pounds of small potatoes
- 6 tablespoons of butter
- 4 sprigs of thyme and lemon thyme
- 2 teaspoons of minced thyme
- Fresh ground pepper
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- 1 lemon wedge
- Cutting board & knife
- Large mixing bowl
- Muffin pan
- 12 small parchment rounds
- Small sauce pan
- Wooden spoon
- Rubber spatula
- Pastry brush
- 1/2 teaspoon
- Aluminum foil
- Baking sheet lined with parchment
Commençons! (Let's get started!)
- Cut the hats off of strawberries and use a food mill to puree 2 cups.
- Juice 1/4 cup of lemon. Whisk together the puree, juice, and sugar until the sugar has dissolved.
- Use a hand mixer to whip egg whites until they form soft peaks.
- Pour the juice puree mixture into the egg whites and use a hand mixer to whip together until smooth.
- Scoop the sherbet into a container and cover with plastic wrap. Freezer for 3 hours.
- Remove the sherbet, whip it again, and then freeze it for another hour.
- TaDa! Strawberry sherbet fresh out of Julia Child’s own kitchen! C’est tres delicieux!
- Preheat oven to 350ºF
- Slice potatoes into thin rounds and then toss with lemon juice.
- Line a muffin pan with parchment rounds and then place a small sprig of thyme in the bottom of each muffin cup.
- Mince garlic cloves (PICTURE at 7:43). Melt butter in a sauce pan and then stir in garlic and thyme. Cook on low heat until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Brush the muffin pan with the herbed butter and then drizzle 1/2 teaspoon of the mixture into each cup.
- Pour remaining butter over the potatoes and then add salt and pepper to taste. Toss well to coat.
- Divide potato slices amongst the muffin cups, overlapping and layering slices on top of each other to create a circular pattern (PICTURE at 9:20).
- Cover the top of the pan tightly with foil and bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until potatoes can easily be pierced with a knife.
- Remove foil and place a baking sheet lined with parchment upside down onto the muffin pan. Flip the potatoes out onto the baking sheet.
- Remove the small parchment rounds and serve.
- TaDa! Mini Garlic Herbed Potato Cakes! Tres Mignon! Bon Appetit!