Countdown Cookie Pops
Things you'll needIngredients: Vegan Lemon Cookies
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup vegan butter
- ½ granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Vegan Royal Icing
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 6 tablespoons liquid from canned chickpeas
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- Pinch of salt
- 1 batch vegan royal icing
- Vegan black food coloring
- Coarse gold sanding sugar
- Edible gold candy pearls
- 2 ¼ inch round cookie cutter
- 12 lollipop sticks
- Decorating tips: #1, #3
Make the Vegan Royal Icing!
- In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, beat the powdered sugar and chickpea liquid until smooth and thick, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Beat in the vanilla, almond extract, and salt until well combined, 1 to 2 minutes.
Let's get started!
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour and salt.
- In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, beat the butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Beat in the lemon zest and juice.
- On low speed, beat in the flour mixture until combined.
- Shape the dough into a disk and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 325F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to a ½ inch thickness. Cut out 12 cookies using the round cookie cutter and place them 2 inches apart on the baking sheet.
- Insert a lollipop stick halfway into each cookie.
- Freeze the cookies for 10 minutes.
- Bake until the cookies are firm to the touch but not browned at the edges, about 10 minutes.
- Let cool on the baking sheets for 2 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Time to decorate!
- Make the vegan royal icing. Divide it between 2 bowls. Tint one bowl black and leave the other white. Scoop the black icing into a decorating bag fitted with a #3 tip.
- Outline the cookies with the white icing, then fill in the centers. Let the icing harden for about 1 hour.
- Pipe a circle of white icing at the edge of the cookies. While the icing is still wet, sprinkle on the gold sanding sugar.
- Pipe the black icing onto the cookies to create the face and hands of a clock. While the black icing is still wet, place a gold pearl in the center of the clock.
- Let the cookies set for 1 hour before serving.
Written By Rosanna Pansino