Things you'll need
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- ¾ cup almond meal
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 2 sticks salted butter at room temperature
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- Cookie cutters: water drop, plum, banana, pear, carrot, tomato
- Rolling pin
- Large bowl
- Medium bowl
- Rubber spatula
- Hand mixer
- Plastic wrap
- 9 decorating bags filled with royal icing with #2 tip: white, dark brown, light brown, red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple
Let's get Started!
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- In medium bowl, whisk almond meal, flour, baking powder, nutmeg, and salt.
- In large bowl, use a hand mixer to beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing and scraping in between. Beat in vanilla and almond extract.
- On low speed, mix in the dry ingredients.
- Shape the dough into 2 disks and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for an hour.
- Once dough is set, cut out cookies and then freeze for 10 minutes.
- Remove the cookies from the freezer and bake for 12 to 13 minutes.
Time to decorate!
- Pipe the outline of the cookie for each Cropsie character (PICTURE at 4:17). Each character has its own color: blue for teardrop, red for tomato, orange for carrot, green for pear, yellow for banana, and purple for plum.
- Once the outline has hardened, fill it in with color and then let it dry for about an hour.
- Pipe the whites of the eyes for each character and allow it to dry (PICTURE at 5:10).
- Use dark and light brown icing to pipe the mouths, and white icing for teeth (PICTURE at 6:08). Pipe the stems and leaves for the plum, banana, tomato and carrot (PICTURE at 6:23).
- TaDa! Your Farm Heroes Cropsies Cookies are ready for you to line them up and scarf them down!