Spring Garden Cake
Things you'll needIngredients
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup + 2 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups American buttercream
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Fondant: red, white, green, orange and brown
- Green American buttercream
- Chocolate cookie crumbs, Oreos
- Piping bags
- Corn starch
- Fondant extruder
- Ball tool
- Pointed fondant tool
- Flower forming pad
- Rolling pin
- Piping tips: #233, #8
Let's get started!
- Preheat the oven to 325F. Grease and line the 6-inch pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, cocoa powder, cinnamon and salt. Add the sugar and brown sugar, whisk to combine.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, water and vanilla. Add the sour cream and oil and whisk to combine.
- Combine the wet mixture and dry mixture.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 35-40 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let cake cool completely, slice into two even layers
- Chocolate buttercream: Melt the chocolate, let it cool slightly and whisk into room temperature American buttercream.
- Stack cake on 10" square cake board, filling with chocolate buttercream.
- Ice the outside of the cake with green buttercream, until smooth.
Time to Decorate!
- Roll out the white fondant to create the fence around the gate. Cut out 20 thicker 3-inch tall fence boards and 8 thin 6-inch long strips. Place on sides of cake, using buttercream to help it stick.
- Pipe grass tip border in green buttercream along the top edge of the cake, fill the top with chocolate cookie crumbs.
- Carrots: Using orange fondant, make small carrots. Using the fondant extruder and green fondant, make the carrot tops and attach using water.
- Radishes: Using red and white fondant, make radishes. Using flower forming pad, ball tool, and green fondant make radish tops and attach using a dab of water.
- Cabbages: Using 3 shades of green fondant, flower forming pad, ball tool, and clover cutter, make the cabbages.
- Cauliflower: Using white and green fondant, flower forming pad, ball tool, clover cutter and #8 round top, create the cauliflowers.
- Shovel: Using brown and white fondant, tear drop cutter, flower forming pad and ball tool, make a tiny shovel.
- Place fondant vegetable in rows in the cookie crumbs.
Written By Rosanna Pansino