April 15, 2021
Things you'll needKey Lime Cake (may need to make 2-3 for the size of cake)
- 1 cup canola oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/3 cup whole milk
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lime zest
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 drops green food coloring
- 2 cups dark chocolate chips
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- Rice Krispies
- White, gray, pink, fondant
- Confectioners glaze
- Food coloring
Let's get started!
- Preheat the oven to 325F. Grease and line three 8-inch round pans.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In another large bowl using a hand mixer, cream together the oil, eggs, milk, lime zest and lime juice.
- Mix together the dry ingredients into the egg mixture.
- Add two drops of green food coloring.
- Pour the batter evenly between the prepared pans.
- Bake for 20-26 minutes. Let cakes cool and level the top.
Time to Decorate!
- Stack and frost four 8-inch cakes with a thin layer of buttercream in between layers.
- Carve the sides where Godzillas back and side of the throat. Save carvings for later.
- Add support dowels under a 6-inch cake board and stack and frost three 6-inch cakes with a thin layer of buttercream in between layers.
- Carve and add excess carvings to define the back. Insert three more support dowels on the top.
- Freeze cake, 20 minutes.
- Mold and shape skull with Rice Krispies on a 6-inch cake board.
- Make the ganache. Attach the skull to the top of the cake with a small amount of ganache, then cover the chilled cake using a spatula.
- Add white fondant for more shaping details around the jaw, neck and back, using milk as an adhesive.
- Mold and shape two shoulders with Rice Krispies and attach with buttercream.
- Roll out a large piece of gray fondant and completely cover the cake.
- Skin & Spikes: Add texture and detail to the skin using fondant tools, aluminum foil, straws and cookie cutters. Cut out fondant scales & spikes for the spine. Attach spikes to back with toothpicks for support. Airbrush with black for color and dimension.
- Eyes: Cut eye sockets and add white fondant for eyeballs.
- Scales: Attach scales with a little bit of water to back and shoulders & airbrush again for dimension.
- Mouth: Fill mouth with pink fondant and sculpt details & tongue. Paint with food coloring for dimension. Add pointed white fondant teeth.
- Water: Melt blue isomalt and pour around the base.
- Saliva: Melt clear isomalt and string across a mat, let cool then add to mouth for drool.
- Brush the cake with a 50/50 vodka and corn syrup glaze for final shine.
Written By Rosanna Pansino