Things you'll needIngredients for the Chocolate Cake
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup half-and-half
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Swiss Buttercream
- Blue Sprinkles (or sprinkles in your school colors)
- Miniature peanut butter cups (Reese's)
- Milk chocolate squares (TCHO)
- Small blue (or your school colors) candy-coated chocolates (M&M's Minis)
- Decorating tips: #1A, #1
Let's get started!
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line 16 cups of 2 muffin tins with foil liners.
- Make the chocolate cake: In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, granulated sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- In a medium bow, whisk together the half-and-half, oil, egg, vanilla, and water.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add the wet mixture. Stir just until no dry streaks of flour remain (do not overmix).
- Fill the foil liners two-thirds full with batter.
- Make the peanut butter filling: In a medium bowl, mix together the peanut butter and powdered sugar until smooth.
- Add the half-and-half and vanilla and mix well.
- Scoop the filling into a decorating bag and cut the tip. Pipe 1 tablespoon into the batter in each liner and swirl with a toothpick or skewer.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Time to decorate!
- Scoop the buttercream into a decorating bag fitted with a #1A tip and pipe a dome of frosting onto each cupcake. Reserve the remaining frosting for more decoration.
- Roll out the outer edge of the frosting in sprinkles
- Place a mini peanut butter cup upside down in the center of each cupcake. With a dab of frosting, attach the chocolate squares.
- Scoop the remaining frosting into a decorating bag fitted with a #1 tip.
- Using frosting, attach M&M's Minis on the center of the chocolate squares.
- Pipe a tassel on the caps.
Written By Rosanna Pansino