Harry Potter Donuts
Things you'll needDonuts
- 1 envelope (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm milk
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Seeds of 1/2 a vanilla bean
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2-1/2 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon oil, for coating the bowl and dough
- About 8 cups vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- Donut glaze: white, black, pink, green
- Edible gold stars
- Edible gold pearls
- Leaf cutter
- Edible gold dust
- Lemon extract
- Royal icing: white, green, brown, black
- Mini Oreos
Let's get started!
Make the Donuts:
- In a bowl of a stand mixer, whisk together the yeast, warm milk and granulated sugar. Set aside until foamy, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the vanilla seeds, almond extract, egg yolks and butter.
- Stir 1/2 cup of the flour into the yeast mixture until a thick paste forms.
- On a low speed, beat in the salt and the remaining flour, 1/4 cup at a time. Mix until the dough is soft and pulls away from the sides of the bowl (you may not need to use all the flour), 3 to 5 minutes.
- On a slightly floured surface, knead the dough for 1 minute. Form the dough into a large ball. If the dough is too sticky, add more flour as needed.
- Grease a large bowl with the oil and add the dough. Roll the dough in the oil to completely coat. Cover the bowl with a clean cloth and let rest at room temperature until doubled in size, 1 to 2 hours.
- Pour about 4 inches of vegetable oil into a large heavy bottomed pot fitted with a candy thermometer. Heat the oil to 350F over medium heat. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- On a lightly floured surface, flatten the dough to 1/2 inch thick.
- Using the different cutters, cut out one triangle, two donuts with holes, one 3.5" circle and one 4" circle. Place on the baking sheet.
- For the Golden Snitch, take a tablespoon of dough and roll into a ball tightly. Place on the baking sheet.
- Cover with a clean cloth so a skin does not form and let rest for 10-15 minutes.
- Fry the donuts, a few at a time, until golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Remove with a slotted spoon and let drain on paper towels. Cool completely.
Golden Snitch Donuts:
- Take the small bball and a donut with a hole. Using the white glaze, drizzle on top of the donuts. Let set slightly, about 5-10 minutes.
- Sprinkle the gold stars and edible gold pearls on top. Let the icing set.
- Roll out the fondant thinly. Use the leaf cutter and cut out some leaf shapes.
- Use a knife to split in half and add line details on each "wing".
- Mix together the edible gold dust and a few drops of lemon extract.
- Using a brush, paint the wings and the donut ball with gold paint.
- Place the golden donut ball in the center of the donut. Attach the wings using some royal icing.
Bertie Bott's Donut:
- Take the other donut with a hole, drizzle the green glaze on top of the donut. Let set slightly, about 5-10 minutes.
- Use the white royal icing to drizzle some lines on top.
- Decorate with Bertie Bott's jellybeans on top.
Hagrid's 'Happee Birthdae Harry' Cake Donuts:
- Take the 4" circle donut and drizzle the pink glaze on top. Let it set slightly, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Using a knife or skewer, draw a line in the center and on the bottom.
- Decorate using the green royal icing fitted with a #2 piping top to write "Happee Birthdae Harry" on top.
- Take the 3.5" donut, make two small holes on the top of the donut.
- Squeeze a small amount of royal icing inside the holes and place the two white jellybeans halfway in. Let it set.
- Use the white glaze to drizzle on top.
- For the eyes, take two Mini Oreos and use the cookie with the cream still on top and place on top of donut for eyes.
- Add two brown M&Ms for pupils on eyes.
- Cut and orange M&M in half and attach in the center for the beak.
- Using the brown royal icing, add small "V" details on the chest and feet.
- Add two long vertical lines on each side of the owl for wings.
Deathly Hallows Donut:
- Take the triangle donut and drizzle the blake glaze on top. Let is set about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Using the white royal icing fitted with a #3 tip, draw a triangle on top.
- Add a circle inside the triangle, then pipe a vertical line in the center.
Written By Rosanna Pansino