A red tart cherry pie with a homemade crust and whipped cream topping. This pie is made to look just like the pie card back from the Blizzard game Hearthstone!
Makes 1 quarter sheet pie
Things you'll need
Ingredients Dough (X 2)
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter flavored shortening, chilled
- 1/2 cup salted butter, chilled
- 6 tablespoons buttermilk, chilled
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups pitted red tart cherries, fresh or canned
- 6 tablespoons + 2 tablespoons cherry juice
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whipped cream in piping bag fitted with #829 tip
- Whipped cream in piping bag fitted with #4B tip
- Egg wash
- Large mixing bowl
- Medium mixing bowl
- Small mixing bowl
- Rubber spatula
- Plastic wrap
- Rolling pin
- Bench flour
- Quarter sheet tray lined with parchment paper
- Baking spray
- Pastry cutter
- Medium sauce pan
- Round cookie cutter
- Small sharp knife
- Pastry brush
Let's get started!
Dough (Make twice)
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, and salt and then add cubed butter and shortening. Work between fingers until the mixture no longer has large chunks of butter.
- Drizzle in ice cold buttermilk and vanilla. Work in the buttermilk to form a dough.
- Shape the dough into a disc and wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 2 to 24 hours.
- In a small bowl, whisk flour and 6 tablespoons of cherry liquid until smooth.
- In a saucepan, stir together cherries, 2 tablespoons of cherry liquid, sugar, and salt. Continue to stir on medium heat until sugar dissolves, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir slurry into cherries and increase heat to medium high. Cook until mixture starts to thicken, another 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Cool at room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
Time to decorate!
- Roll dough out to 1/4 inch thick and place into a greased baking pan.
- Dock the dough with a fork then spread cherry filling evenly along the bottom of the sheet. Save some filling for the hand pie.
- Roll out second dough and cut out long strips using a pastry cutter or a paring knife (PICTURE at 6:04).
- Arrange strips of dough in a lattice pattern. Crimp the overhanging dough into a rope border (PICTURE at 6:15).
- Cut 2 circles out of the excess dough and then cut a hearthstone swirl into the center of one of the circles.
- Roll out the dough that remains and cut out a hearthstone sun (PICTURE at 7:37).
- Assemble a hand pie with cherry filling and the smaller hearthstone rounds (PICTURE at 8:09). Place hand pie on center of sun design.
- Egg wash and bake at lattice pie for 60 to 70 minutes. Egg wash and bake hearthstone hand pie for 15 to 20 minutes.
- TaDa! This Hearthstone Cherry Pie won't last long with hungry Murlocs around!
This Hearthstone Cherry Pie was inspired by a Hearthstone card back released in October 2016.