Jen Chae joins Rosanna Pansino on Nerdy Nummies to make these magic spell book cookies from the movie Hocus Pocus! Each cookie is decorated with royal icing to look like Winnie's beloved "Book"!
Makes 8 to 12 large cookies
Things you'll need
- 3 cups flour
- ¾ cups almond meal
- 1 ½ cups + 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 bag white candy coated chocolates (M&M’s)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup butter
- Hand mixer
- 2 mixing bowls
- Rectangle cookie cutter
- Rolling pin
- 2 baking sheets lined with parchment paper
- Brown & gray royal icing in decorating bags fitted with #2 tips
Let's get started!
- Preheat oven to 350ºF
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, salt, 1 tablespoon of sugar, almond meal, baking powder, and nutmeg until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, slowly add sugar to butter while mixing. Add eggs one at a time and then add extracts.
- Slowly combine the wet and dry ingredients (about a third at a time), and mix until a dough forms.
- Divide dough into two disks and then wrap in plastic. Refrigerate for an hour.
- Roll out dough onto a floured surface and then cut out rectangles.
- Place 4 rectangles on each baking sheet and bake for 12 minutes.
Time to decorate!
- Use brown royal icing to outline the surface of the cookie with icing. Let the outline dry and then flood it.
- Before the flooded icing has dried, place a white candy coated chocolate facedown on the edge of the "book". This will be the eye.
- Use a #2 tip to pipe brown squiggly lines to the surface of the book (PICTURE at 5:33). Use a #1 tip to pipe stitches.
- With a #1 tip, pipe gray borders and binding.
- Pipe gray snakes and then top it off with a gray pupil in the eye (PICTURE at 6:45).
- TaDa! These Hocus Pocus Spellbook Cookies will summon the flavor this Halloween!
Hocus Pocus Spellbook Cookies